Monday, March 12, 2007

9

The Drowned and the Saved

If I sought God first and helped my neighbors by sharing my bread and soup, what would be left for me to eat and survive in this society? Even though I was caring to a prisoner who was in a worse condition than I was, is there an assurance that he would help me when I am in times of hardship?

There was no good or evil and just or unjust in this concentration camp. In order to survive, being selfish was essential. Auschwitz gave them no time or materials to spare for other people. To survive in this cruel society, one would be kept busy just to maintain the living in the concentration camp. It even required sinful nature of humans to get a step ahead of other prisoners or use them to benefit himself. It showed me how desperate situations in life could change one into a different human being.

1 comment:

elephantflower89 said...

well written, i also really enjoyed the book