Monday, March 12, 2007

6

The Work

Behind the barely closed eyelids, dreams break out violently, the usual dreams. To be at home, in a wonderfully hot bath. To be at home, seated at a table.To be at home, and tell the story of this hopeless work of ours, of this never-ending hunger, of the slave’s way of sleeping.”

As I read through this chapter, I tried to think of the conditions and how I much have felt being in Primo’s shoes. Through the severe conditions and the hard working hours, I would be complaining continuously to myself. And then I thought about the reactions I would take from these hardships. I thought I would definitely appreciate the environment that I live in right now even though I complain about the small things. Going back home would be a dream and eventually wouldn’t even let myself thinking about home because it would make me more miserable living in the concentration camp. I would also think that in order to survive a little bit more than the others, I should just work and obey the Germans’ orders because I know that I am weak and I can’t make a difference anyhow. The labor would have brought great pain physically and mentally as I would lose hope and security.

No comments: