Sunday, March 11, 2007

4

Ka-Be

“I am assigned bunk number 10- a miracle! It is empty! I stretch myself out with delight; it is the first time since I entered the camp that I have a bunk all to myself. Despite my hunger, within ten minutes I am asleep.”

Ka-Be was an infirmary in the concentration camp. Primo Levi was able to go there because he was seriously hurt by his wooden shoes. I think it is ridiculous that the prisoners had to wear such shoes in order to assure the Germans that they would not to run away. When Primo was able to have an empty bunk all to himself and rest, he might have been thankful for the first time since he came to Auschwitz. I remember the last week’s sermon in church. Our youth pastor told us that as Christians, we need to be try our best to achieve excellence in our studies and live our daily lives to the fullest with hard work because we represent God. He also said when we work hard Monday through Saturday, God gives us a chance to rest and concentrate on Him on Sunday. Primo deserved the rest and the good sleep he couldn’t have for a long time because he worked continuously.

No comments: