Monday, March 12, 2007

7

A Good Day

"Today is a good day. We look around like blind people who have recovered their sight, and we look at each other. We have never seen each other in sunlight: someone smiles."

I personally like a sunny warm day where it seems like it’s the perfect weather to go on a picnic or read a book under a tree or thinking about my life under the sun. So a bright sunny day is a good day for me. But the good day in the concentration camp must have been very different from my perspective of a good day. The good day came with a bright sunlight with hope and cheerfulness. It had ‘recovered the sight of the prisoners’ and made someone smile. The sunlight must have been very encouraging to the prisoners. And I can even imagine further that the sun might have reminded the prisoners of the old days when they were free and blessed. They might have also felt that they wished they could have saw the sun outside of the barbed wire of Auschwitz.

No comments: